Ageing Better with Working Win
After listening to what older people in Sheffield had to say about how important employment is to feeling connected, valued and healthy; we decided to find out what we could do to help.
Last year Age Better in Sheffield worked closely with people aged 50 and over to find out about their experiences of employment in Sheffield.
Older people told us:
- Unemployment contributes to social isolation and loneliness
- Low income impacts on ability to stay socially connected
- Many people are experiencing poor or little support to find or maintain the right employment for them
- Older people have lots of experience and skills to offer
- New opportunities to learn and grow are really beneficial for their health and wellbeing
- Many older people want to work and would like help finding work that’s right for them
We decided to find out what we could do to help.
We discovered a brand new trial being run on behalf of the NHS and the Government’s Work and Health Unit. It’s called Working Win – The Health Led-Employment Trial and it is testing a new type of support for people looking for work, or in work and struggling. We wanted as many people as possible to have the opportunity to take part, so we’re sharing the word through our website and out in communities with our partner All About You.
What to expect?
The Health-led Employment Trial is a randomised control trial, meaning people who take part will be randomly placed into one of two research groups. One group will receive the new service and the other group will be provided with information about existing services in their area.
If you receive the new service you can expect:
- One-to-one support to suit your needs and employment goals
- Support surrounding work with your health care team to help you manage any difficulties
- Help finding a job if you are not in paid employment, and continued support once you have started
- Help to continue working if you are struggling to manage your health condition at work
- Benefits advice to find out if work could increase your income
- Help talking to your employer about your needs at work
- Meetings over the phone or in person at a location that is convenient for you
Who is it for?
You can get involved in Working Win if you:
- have a self-defined mental health and/or physical health condition
- are out of work and want to work; or working and want support to continue working
- are registered with a GP in South Yorkshire or Bassetlaw
- are aged 18+ at the time of referral
- are not currently registered with a healthcare service to support you with your mental health and/or physical health condition.
Get in touch
You can go directly to Working Win, or if you are over 50 and live in Sheffield and want to know more before you sign up, you can reach the All About You team who are recruiting people on behalf of Age Better in Sheffield using the contact details below:
0114 265 4165